Backyard Chicken Permit

All residents of Byrnes Mill interested in keeping backyard chickens are required to apply for a permit through the City via an application process available online (see below) or at City Hall.  A fee of $25 is to be paid upon completion application, which is to be renewed (with fee) yearly for the first three years and not thereafter as long as in compliance the duration of three-year period.

Checks should be made payable to City of Byrnes Mill and sent to:

City of Byrnes Mill
City Clerk's Office
141 Osage Executive Circle
Byrnes Mill, MO 63051 

Fees may also be paid in person with cash or check.

Downloadable Backyard Chicken Application
Online Application (fees must be received in order to complete registration)

**No person shall maintain a chicken coop and/or chicken run unless granted a permit by the City.  The permit shall be subject to all terms and conditions of Section 205.160 of the City Code and any additional conditions deemed necessary by the City to protect the public health, safety and welfare.  The necessary permit may be obtained from the City Clerk's office or online.  Included with the information required prior to issuance of the permit must be a scaled diagram that indicates the location of any chicken coop and run, and the approximate size and distance from adjoining structures and property lines and must conform to Section 205.160 of the City Code.

If the requirements of Section 205.160 are not complied with, the City may revoke any permit granted and/or initiate prosecution for a civil infraction violation.  A person who has been issued a permit shall submit it for examination upon demand by any police officer or code enforcement officer.  Notwithstanding the issuance of a permit by the City, private restrictions on the use of property shall remain enforceable and take precedence over a permit. A permit issued to a person whose property is subject to private restrictions that prohibit the keeping of chickens is void.  The interpretation and enforcement of the private restriction is the sole responsibility of the private parties involved.** 

To view Section 205.160 of the City Code, click HERE.